HRI was founded in 1987 by Dr. Iris R. Weiss, who served as President until her retirement in 2012. HRI has provided services for a variety of clients in both the public and private sector, including the National Science Foundation, the U.S. Department of Education, the Carnegie Corporation of New York, numerous colleges and universities, and professional organizations such as the National Science Teachers Association and the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics.
HRI is located in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. The company is centrally located among three major research universities: Duke University in Durham, the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, and North Carolina State University in Raleigh.
HRI has had many clients and collaborators from diverse sectors, such as:
- ASSET Inc.
- Boston Museum of Science
- Burroughs Welcome Fund
- Knowles Science Teaching Foundation
- Math for America
- Merck Institute for Science Education
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- American Geological Institute
- Association of State Supervisors of Mathematics
- Council of Chief State School Officers
- Council of State Science Supervisors
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics
- National Science Teachers Association
Research and Development Organizations:
- Abt Associates, Inc.
- Education Development Center
- National Center for Improving Science Education
- RTI International
- Westat, Inc.
- Wisconsin Center for Education Research
- Harvard University
- Michigan State University
- North Carolina State University
- The Ohio State University
- University of Florida
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- University of Pennsylvania
- Virginia Commonwealth University
- Western Washington University