Authors: Paola Sztajn, Daniel Heck, Kristen Malzahn
[su_button url=”https://us.corwin.com/en-us/nam/activating-math-talk/book263223″ target=”blank” style=”3d” background=”#2D89EF” color=”#FFFFFF” size=”5″]Buy this book at Corwin[/su_button]
[su_button url=”https://www.amazon.com/Activating-Math-Talk-Purposeful-Mathematics/dp/1544394306/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=Activating+Math+Talk&qid=1623337439&sr=8-3″ target=”blank” style=”3d” background=”#2D89EF” color=”#FFFFFF” size=”5″]Buy this book at Amazon[/su_button]
Achieve High-Quality Mathematics Discourse With Purposeful Talk Techniques
Many mathematics teachers agree that engaging students in high quality discourse is important for their conceptual learning, but successfully promoting such discourse in elementary classrooms—with attention to the needs of every learner—can be a challenge. Activating Math Talk tackles this challenge by bringing practical, math-specific, productive discourse techniques that are applicable to any lesson or curriculum.
Framed around 11 student-centered discourse techniques, this research-based book connects purposeful instructional techniques to specific lesson goals and includes a focus on supporting emergent multilingual learners. You will be guided through each technique with:
- Classroom examples of tasks and techniques spanning grades K–5
- Reflection moments to help you consider how key ideas relate to your own instruction
- Classroom vignettes that illustrate the techniques in action and provide opportunities to analyze and prepare for your own implementation
- Group discussion questions for engaging with colleagues in your professional community
Achieving high-quality mathematics discourse is within your reach using the clear-cut techniques that activates your math talk efforts to promote every student’s conceptual learning.
- Teaching elementary school students to participate in mathematics discourse: Techniques that work (NCTM 100 Days of Professional Development, June 2020)
- 2020 Kids Math Talk Episode 13: Student Discourse and Engagement Goals (Paola Sztajn and Kristen Malzahn, November 2020)
- Math Ed Podcast: Activating Math Talk (Dan Heck and Kristen Malzahn, June 2021)
- Teaching Math Teaching podcast: Activating Math Talk (Paola Sztajn and Dan Heck, June 2021)
- Keeping the Focus on Dimensions of Quality Math Discourse (NSF 2021 STEM for ALL Video Showcase)